Jonathan’s practice is focussed on corporate/commercial law.
Jonathan obtained his LL.B. from the University of British Columbia and was called to the B.C. bar in 2003. He also obtained a Master of Arts (Theological Studies) from Regent College, and a BBA from Wilfrid Laurier University.
Between obtaining his BBA and his LL.B., Jonathan was elected to the Board of a $600 million credit union where he served for three years. This experience taught him the client perspective, and what clients require from their legal counsel beyond pure legal advice.
Before founding English Bay Law Corporation in 2005, Jonathan articled with a large regional law firm and worked as an associate for a Vancouver boutique. He began his legal career as a paralegal for Freshfields in London, England. There, he worked on complex M&A and securities matters for two years. By working on complex purchase and sale transactions from start to finish, he was able to gain an integrated and detailed understanding of the organic relationship between all aspects of a transaction from the initial due diligence, through drafting the SPA to boxing the warranties and other aspects of a transaction.
In addition to running a law firm, Jonathan has also served as Director, CFO and Corporate Secretary of a mining corporation, and Secretary of a wind energy corporation.
- Director, DFO & Corporate Secretary, New Destiny Mining Corp. (2009)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association and the Securities, Corporate, Business Law and Charities sub-sections (2003 – 2011)
- Corporate Secretary, NaiKun Wind Energy Group Ltd. (2007)
- Member, The Institute of Canadian Directors (2005 – 2006)
- Director, HEPCOE Credit Union (now Meridian Credit Union) (1992 – 1995)
Some Other Activities:
- ·Director of Operations, BC Hockey Provincial Tournaments for U-16 and U-15 (2011-2016)
- Manager, Greater Vancouver Canadians of the BC Hockey Major Midget League (2011 – 2013)
- Coach, Assistant Coach and Manager for various BC minor hockey teams (1998 – 2012)
- Director and Board Chair, Pacific Dreams Theatre Society (2006 – 2007)
- Crucial for business owners to give thought to succession plan
- Vancouver Vacancy Tax to Impact Retirees, Purchases in 2018
- Trust, Communication Key When Creating Estate Planning Agreements
- Legal, Financial Due Diligence Vital Part of Buying a Business
- Corporate Solicitor, Tax Expert Integral to Family Trust Plan
- Multiple Wills Could Prove Useful for Some B.C. Businesses
- Similar Strategies Can Drive Success in Sports, Business
- Implementation of the New Tax Creates Problems for B.C. Homebuyers
- Jonathan Reilly Thrives on Crafting Solutions for Clients
Wills & Estates Paralegal
Michael retired from practice several years ago but recently decided that he wanted to return to practice. We are currently waiting on the Law Society of British Columbia to approve his license to practice. In the mean time, Michael is providing paralegal support in our Wills, Estates, and Family Trusts Department, supervised by Jonathan Reilly.
Michael is fluent in English, French, and Yiddish. He completed his law degree at Queen's University following which he Articled in Ontario and was called to the Bar of the Law Society of Upper Canada in 1980. Immediately after his call he came to British Columbia where he was licensed to practice law for 31 years both in private practice and in-house. The financial curve-balls of life may have brought Michael back to practice, but we are pleased to have someone with his legal and life experience, and sense of humour, on our team.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (1980 to 2011)
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada (1980)
Ryan’s practice is focused primarily on Real Estate Law on both the Residential and Commercial side.
Ryan received his J.D. from the University of Saskatchewan in 2011 and was called to the B.C. bar in 2015. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of British Columbia.
Ryan is a Vancouver native, and knows the City well.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2015 to present);
- In his spare time, Ryan enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, reading, travelling, and spending time enjoying Vancouver’s culinary scene with his wife.
- Ryan also loves to cook and bake, and can often be found experimenting with new dishes from around the world on the weekends.