Jonathan’s practice is focussed on corporate/commercial law.
Jonathan obtained his LL.B. from the University of British Columbia and was called to the B.C. bar in 2003. He also obtained a Master of Arts (Theological Studies) from Regent College, and a BBA from Wilfrid Laurier University.
Between obtaining his BBA and his LL.B., Jonathan was elected to the Board of a $600 million credit union where he served for three years. This experience taught him the client perspective, and what clients require from their legal counsel beyond pure legal advice.
Before founding English Bay Law Corporation in 2005, Jonathan articled with a large regional law firm and worked as an associate for a Vancouver boutique. He began his legal career as a paralegal for Freshfields in London, England. There, he worked on complex M&A and securities matters for two years. By working on complex purchase and sale transactions from start to finish, he was able to gain an integrated and detailed understanding of the organic relationship between all aspects of a transaction from the initial due diligence, through drafting the SPA to boxing the warranties and other aspects of a transaction.
In addition to running a law firm, Jonathan has also served as Director, CFO and Corporate Secretary of a mining corporation, and Secretary of a wind energy corporation.
- Director, DFO & Corporate Secretary, New Destiny Mining Corp. (2009)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association and the Securities, Corporate, Business Law and Charities sub-sections (2003 – 2011)
- Corporate Secretary, NaiKun Wind Energy Group Ltd. (2007)
- Member, The Institute of Canadian Directors (2005 – 2006)
- Director, HEPCOE Credit Union (now Meridian Credit Union) (1992 – 1995)
Some Other Activities:
- ·Director of Operations, BC Hockey Provincial Tournaments for U-16 and U-15 (2011-2016)
- Manager, Greater Vancouver Canadians of the BC Hockey Major Midget League (2011 – 2013)
- Coach, Assistant Coach and Manager for various BC minor hockey teams (1998 – 2012)
- Director and Board Chair, Pacific Dreams Theatre Society (2006 – 2007)
Julia‘s practice includes Wills & Estates, Family Law, and Real Estate Law. She also serves as a notary.
Julia was born in Russia and received her Master’s degree in Law from the University of St. Petersburg in 1982. She worked there as a criminal defence attorney and family lawyer until moving to Israel where she practiced law from 1992-1999. Julia then moved to Canada in 1999 and worked as a legal assistant and researcher until attending the University of British Columbia to obtain her J.D. in 2013. She was called to the B.C. bar in August of 2014.
Julia has 32 years of legal experience spanning three countries. She is fluent in Russian, Hebrew and English.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2014 to present)
- Member, Israeli Bar Federation (1992-1999)
- Member, Leningrad Bar Association, USSR, Russia (1982-1990)
- Julia is an avid bridge player for over 30 years and was a member of Russian Bridge Federation, Israeli Bridge Federation and American Contract Bridge League
- She is a serious movie buff, and enjoys Vancouver International Film Festival every year. She also enjoys theatre, opera, ballet and good literature.
Julia is a happy and proud mother of two adult children.
Ryan’s practice is focused primarily on Real Estate Law on both the Residential and Commercial side.
Ryan received his J.D. from the University of Saskatchewan in 2011 and was called to the B.C. bar in 2015. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of British Columbia.
Ryan is a Vancouver native, and knows the City well.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2015 to present);
- In his spare time, Ryan enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, reading, travelling, and spending time enjoying Vancouver’s culinary scene with his wife.
- Ryan also loves to cook and bake, and can often be found experimenting with new dishes from around the world on the weekends.